A Pre-Raphaelite Inheritance
Ford Madox Ford was born Joseph Leopold Ford Hermann Madox Hueffer on 17 December 1873 at Merton in Surrey. His father, Francis Hueffer, was a German-born music critic who wrote for The Times. His mother was a daughter of the painter Ford Madox Brown, whose work sits at the edge of the Pre-Raphaelite circle and who gave the boy both his forenames and, eventually, his surname.
Brown's own connection with this corner of London ran through Hampstead. He began his great modern-life canvas Work there in 1852, taking its setting from The Mount, off Heath Street, and did not finish the picture until 1865. The subject was a road being dug up and the social order arranged around the men doing the digging, which makes it one of the few Victorian paintings to treat NW3 as a place where labour happened rather than a place to retire to.
The Household at St Edmund's Terrace
Francis Hueffer died in 1889. Ford, then fifteen, and his younger brother Oliver went to live with their grandfather at 1 St Edmund's Terrace, on the Regent's Park side of Primrose Hill and a short walk south of Belsize Park. It was an artistic household with an artistic street around it, and the boys stayed there through the years in which Ford began to write. Brown died in Primrose Hill in October 1893.
Ford was educated at University College School, then in Gower Street, and never proceeded to university. What he acquired instead was a set of introductions: the extended Brown and Rossetti connection put him, while still a teenager, inside a London literary world that most aspiring novelists spent a decade trying to reach.
From The Brown Owl to The English Review
He published his first book, The Brown Owl, in 1891, when he was eighteen, and followed it with The Shifting of Fire the next year. In 1894 he eloped with Elsie Martindale. In the years that followed he formed one of the odder partnerships in English fiction, collaborating with Joseph Conrad on The Inheritors (1901) and Romance (1903), with a third joint work, The Nature of a Crime, appearing much later.
His most consequential act of literary organisation came in 1908, when he founded The English Review. In its first fifteen months or so it carried work by Thomas Hardy, H. G. Wells and D. H. Lawrence, and it did more than most magazines of the period to shape what became modernism in Britain.
Hueffer Becomes Ford
The Good Soldier, still the book he is best known for, appeared in 1915. He had enlisted in the Welsh Regiment that summer, at the age of forty-one, and served in France. In 1919 he changed his name from Hueffer to Ford Madox Ford, explaining that a Teutonic name had become disagreeable to carry. The Parade's End tetralogy, his long reckoning with the war and the England that entered it, came out between 1924 and 1928. Much of his later life was spent in France and the United States, and he died at Deauville on 26 June 1939.
What Belsize Park Can Fairly Claim
It is worth being precise about the geography, because it is often blurred. There is no documented Ford Madox Ford address in Belsize Park. The London plaque that commemorates him is at 80 Campden Hill Road in Kensington, put up in 1973, and marks the house he shared with Violet Hunt. His grandfather is commemorated separately, by a plaque at 56 Fortess Road in Kentish Town erected in 1976.
What the neighbourhood can claim is proximity and milieu rather than a front door. The formative household was at Primrose Hill, minutes away; the painting that made his grandfather's reputation was begun in Hampstead; and the walk between the two runs straight through Belsize Park. For a writer whose whole method depended on inherited connection and overheard conversation, that stretch of north London was less a backdrop than a starting position.